Rural Communes since 1976 following “Continuing, Extension and Adult Education”, provided a stable platform to many youths for self-learning while contributing to the sustainable development of the marginalized rural poor. Through Self-learning i.e. Experiential and learning by doing, all beneficiaries are the youth, graduates, women, small & marginal farmers, landless, artisans and the tribals, all belonging to socially & economically backward rural communities.
Following decentralised way of functioning with initial support of 5 years, the trained persons registered independent organisations along with local community and now we have over 32 Ex-RC NGOs / CBOs working independently away from RC in Maharashtra, Bastar and South Gujarat.
The Approach of RC is based on the principle that:
• People should be involved in the development process from the beginning and structural changes can only be brought about by informed collective action.
• Women as a group are one of the most deprived and marginalised sections of society and the hopes and aspirations of women need to be addressed in an integral fashion.
• Comprehensive Sustainable Development Approach for Social Mobilisation by creating Local organisations for Conservation & Management of Water & Natural Resources and Sustainable Climate Smart Agriculture for food, local eco-system and livelihood security for the rural poor.
The stated Mission of RC is
• To work for the development of the marginalised and deprived sections of society – youth, marginal, small farmers, landless, women, artisans and tribals
• To provide a platform for youth to organise and bring about change – a youth movement for rural development
• RC believes that youth have a capacity to bring about change in society through organised collective effort and such change has to come from the grass root level involving rural poor.
• Training & Capacity Building of Cadres & Communities - Skills, Knowledge, Attitudes through Experiential and Learning by doing.
• Women & Gender Empowerment
• Strengthening Local Organisations & Institutions
• Watershed & Rainwater Harvesting
• Sustainable Climate Smart Agriculture
• Natural Resource Management (NRM)
• Conservation of Medicinal Plants
• Livelihood Development
• Awareness and Adaptation for effects of Climate Change
Rural Communes is actively working in Western Ghat and Coastal Area of Maharashtra – Raigad, Thane, Palghar, Satara, Ratnagiri, Sindhudurg and Pune.