· Area specific scientific cultivation practices of organic turmeric to be developed
· Cultivation in tribal area. [ small area -0.05 ha to 0.10 ha ]
· To increase the curcumin content of turmeric > 3 %
· Production of residue free turmeric by using only vermicompost/organic fertilizers /biopesticides
· Value addition on turmeric powder to be prepared at local level by SHGs/ FPOs/ entrepreneur and marketed to fetch better prices
At presently the project is in second year. Till August 2020 total number of 321 demonstrations had been conducted and total number of 424 farmers had been trained on cultivation of organic turmeric in small area [0.05 ha to.10 ha]
From the first year itself, initiated the cultivation of turmeric crop in small area as a cash crop with only 16 farmers. Seed bank concept of turmeric crop has initiated for the first time in this tribal area. Total number of 2950 kg turmeric rhizome was procured from the Seed bank and distributed to 95 farmers for cultivation purpose.
In this year 2020-21, SHG members of Shree Ashirvad Visksat Swa sahay Juth from Vejpur village, was trained on the value addition of turmeric crop. Further they prepared 500 kg and sold @ Rs.300/kg turmeric powder thus Farm based enterprise is promoted in this area for the first time. A progressive farmer shri Mekushbhai Patel was also given training on turmeric processing at farm level. Individually he had sold 600 kg@Rs.300/kg residues free turmeric powder in nearby villages and Idar block, during the peak COVID-19 crisis, as people also preferred to enhance their immunity level. Now we are focusing on enhancing the area under turmeric cultivation and preparation of the turmeric powder in large scale so that the farmers get better price and to improved their livelihood.