In tribal areas, animals’ excreta and other farm waste are lying unused in bulk. Although some of the farmers are preparing compost out of the available materials but they are unaware of the technology which give high quality of compost and its method of application. So this activity will intervene on how to produce different types of quality compost using earthworms and recommend the best method.
· Low cost and good quality organic fertilizer i.e, vermicompost was made to prepare by women. They are members of SHGs.
· Production of area specific vermicompost by using bio-resources like FYM and farm waste and standardized the vermicompost thereafter scaling up the end product
· Production of nutrient enriched vermicompost at household level by member of SHGs
· Laboratory analysis of the major nutrients (N, P, K) were made to conduct for the produced vermicompost. The same produced was used by the farmers in their own fields and the surplus was sold thus could earn additional income.
· SHGs based entrepreneur activity.
At presently the project is in second year. Till August 2020 total number of 47 demonstrations on preparation of vermicompost with different beds viz., pacca bed [ 06 ] and tetra vermi beds [ 41] had been conducted. Total number of 60 farmers had been trained on vermicompost production at house hold level.
In the first year very few members of SHGs (3) prepared the vermicompost by using pacca bed and tetra vermibeds. As the end product was of good quality nutrient enriched vermicompost, now 47 women members of 6 SHGs from 5 villages are involved in the same activity.
So far, the SHGs group Shree Ashirvad Viksat Mahila Swa Sahay Juth, Vejpur had sold 500 bags of vermicompost @ Rs400/ bag and earned additional income Rs 2 lakh.
After standardization, the number of vermicompost users will be increased and the surplus production will be promoted for marketing in large scale through SHG based enterprise.